Under the “Exceptional Call for Proposals: Covid-19” by the OSCE – Mission in Skopje, SUMNAL got the opportunity to implement the project “We protect Roma children and families – PROTECTION FOR ALL” as part of the immediate crisis respond and as part of the institutional support, the project “Continuous online learning – WE LEARN”.
Project: We protect Roma children and families – PROTECTION FOR ALL
On 14.08.2020, SUMNAL started with the implementation of the project:” We protect Roma children and families – PROTECTION FOR ALL” which will have duration of three months.
The aim of this project is to provide the educational services for the Roma we did before, but now with a special focus on the measures for protection of Covid-19. The activities consist of providing the necessary help, guidance and educational activities for the children and their families in order to gain the necessary knowledge and skills, improve the existing ones and ease the learning process. It is crucial and necessary for them to get all the information and help regarding the Covid-19 so that they are protected and respond accordingly to the measures for prevention and stopping of the spread of the Covid-19.
The activities include:
– Educational activities in form of online classes for the children from 1st till 3rd grade;
– Workshops on different topics regarding the interest of the beneficiaries (target group are the parents);
– Educational materials – publishing of a “Handbook for support in the educational process of Roma students and work with parents and teachers during the Covid-19 pandemic” and a brochure with “Activities and recommendations for support of the parents during the COvid-19 pandemic”;
– Individual or group counseling by a psychologist;
– Additional activity – field work for giving information to the hard to reach Roma members (collectors of paper, plastic and iron) about the Covid-19 and the protection measures.
The project is funded by the OSCE – Mission in Skopje as part of the mission’s COVID Fund initiative, designed to support local organizations in addressing the needs of the most vulnerable and underserved communities during the Covid-19 crisis.
Project: Continuous online learning – WE LEARN
“Continuous online learning – WE LEARN” is a Project that has the goal to provide continuous online learning of 100 children from Roma families in Bitola and Skopje.
The project started in august this year as a response to the Covid-19 crisis and the inability to realize the educational activities of SUMNAL in normal conditions with the children’s physical presence in the centers in Bitola and Skopje. With financial help provided by OSCE, we were able to procure 100 tablets with internet cards that will be delivered to the children that have no IT equipment and because of the pandemic were deprived of the possibility for uninterrupted education. SUMNAL is adapting its programs for online teaching and together with its dedicated educators and volunteers will provide online classes for 100 children starting this month.
The support by the OSCE – Mission in Skopje is provided by their COVID’s Fund initiative in the part for institutional support, designed to support local organizations in addressing the needs of the most vulnerable and underserved communities during the Covid-19 crisis.